Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Radish Rejection.



John and I haven't mastered the method of planting seeds a few weeks apart instead of all at once. We just harvested about 300 radishes, leaving me with the problem of how to use them all up. Planting a few every week would have been a better plan. I haven't found any recipes for canning them. I've found a recipe for steaming them, which is quite good. I have been making dip out of chopped radishes, garlic and cream cheese. Yummy! The only other recipe I found was for radish top soup, which uses the green tops of the radishes. I wish I hadn't found out that the green tops are yummy to eat because now we know we have 300 radishes and 300 radish tops to use up.

This soup is made with onion and potatoes cooked in chicken broth. Then four cups of radish tops are added and boiled. After that it is all pureed and put back in the pot with some heavy cream. Leo in general doesn't like anything we get out of the garden and he especially doesn't like this soup. He said it looked like throw up. He was right, it did look like barf, but it was really good! Did he eat any? His face says it all.