Tuesday, June 13, 2006

How to Sneak Up on a Clam...

This is one of my mother's favorite Alaskan activities. First you find a dimple in the sand like this:

Then you sneak up quietly and quickly start your digging. If you don't move fast the clam will dart away quicker than, um, some sort of fast darting animal.

Then you shove your arm in the hole up to your elbow and feel around for the razor clam. Hopefully you don't find out why they are called razors. That is me with the clean hands. I prefer to dig as I'm too chicken to put my hand into holes where little creatures live.

They are best when you haven't broken the shell with the shovel.
Today's catch was 110 clams. This equals out to about three hours of work processing them at home. Ugh. We always get overzealous when out digging and then regret it when we are working the rest of the day.